Tom Yum Gai
Had this wonderful soup while on vacation and just had to make it at home. This recipe definitely does not disappoint. Spicy and so tasteful!Print Pin Rate
- ½ medium onion, diced
- 2 green onions sliced
- 2 small tomatoes , cut into eighths
- ½ lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts, chopped (pieces no larger than 1 inch)
- 10 canned straw mushrooms
- 8 button mushrooms, cleaned and chopped
- 4 cups low sodium chicken stock
- 2 stalks lemongrass, bruised and cut diagonally into 2 inch pieces
- 6 kaffir lime leaves, scored and bruised
- 8 ⅛ inch slices of peeled ginger
- 3 tbsp fish sauce
- 1¼ tbsp chili paste
- 2 serrano chiles, seeded and sliced.
- 1 cup fresh cilantro, roughly diced
- 2 tsp sugar
- ¼ cup lime juice
- 2½ tbsp peanut oil, divided
- fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter, divided
- Prep all the ingredients.
- In a medium sized soup pot on medium high heat, add 2 tbsp peanut oil, the chicken, half the ginger, and half of the lemongrass pieces and cook until the chicken is almost cooked completely through. Set aside.
- Add 1tbsp butter and ½ tbsp peanut oil to the pot then throw in the mushrooms and cook until they are browned.
- Add 1 tbsp butter to the pot and throw the onions in. Saute until translucent.
- Add the stock and deglaze the pot.
- Add the fish sauce, remaining ginger, remaining lemongrass, lime leaves, and chiles. Simmer coverd for 15 minutes on medium low heat.Add the sugar, chili paste,and tomatoesand simmer an additional 2 minutes.Reduce the heat to low, add the lime juice, half the cilantro, and green onions. Let simmer another 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle with the remaining Cilantro and serve.