This recipe came from the Szechuan Salmon with Scallion Green Beans recipe and, like some of the other recipes on this site, Joe decided the sauce was so good it needed to stand on its own.Print Pin Rate
- 1 tsp Szechuan peppercorns
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 3 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp chinese cooking wine substitute mirin, sake, or sherry
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tsp fresh ginger finely minced ( or use ginger paste)
- 1 tbsp garlic chili paste more for more spicy or sub 1 teaspoon chili flakes
- ½ tsp chinese five spice
- 2 – 3 tsp cornstarch optional for thicker sauce when stir frying
- 5 – 10 Chinese or Arbol chiles optional for stir frying
- Toast szechuan peppercorns in a hot dry skillet over medium heat, until fragrant, about 1-2 minutes, then crush (we use a mortar and pestle for this).
- Place all ingredients in a medium bowl or small jar and whisk until well combined.
- If using as a stir-fry sauce, and you would like to thicken it, whisk in 2 teaspoons cornstarch and try adding a few dry Chinese or Arbol chiles (5-10) to the stir-fry, right before adding the Szechuan Sauce. Do not eat the chilis.