Southern Beef Gravy Casserole
This one sounds just a bit weird. I get it. I mean really, Pintos in a beef gravy? Trust me, though, this is a good one. Easy and tasty.Print Pin
- 1 ½ lb Ground Beef
- 6 Medium Sized Russet Potatoes peeled and sliced into ⅛ inch slices
- 1 Yellow Onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp General Purpose Flour
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 can Cream of Mushroom Soup with Roasted Garlic
- 1 can Pinto Beans
- 1 lb Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- t tsp Bacon Fat
- 1 ½ tbsp Your Favorite Steak Rub
- Kosher Salt
- Ground Black Pepper
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- Preheat oven to 375 F
- Add potatoes and a little salt to a pot of water and bring to a boil. The potatoes are done when the center is still a little tough (al dente). Drain and set aside.
- While the potatoes are cooking, split the ground beef into 3 equal pieces and create thick patties. Sear the patties on both sides.
- Break the patties up into bite size chunks and continue to brown until done.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and set aside
- Add the butter to the pan and melt, then add the onions and saute over medium heat until they are just getting translucent.
- Add the garlic and continue to saute until the garlic is fragrant (about a minute).
- Add the ground beef back into the pan.
- Add the flour. Stir the mixture while continuing to cook for 3 to 5 more minutes (until you can't smell the flour).
- Add the milk and steak rub and stir until well incorporated, then add the soup, pintos, and bacon fat. Bring to a boil while stirring, then reduce heat and cook until thick and gravy like.
- Prep a 9×13 baking dish with butter, then build your casserole layers. First, create a layer with half the potato slices.
- Create the second layer with half the gravy.
- Create tbe third layer with half the cheese.
- Do it all over again with the remaining potatoes, remaining gravy, and remaining cheese.
- Place the casserole in the oven and cook (at 375 F) for 30 minutes. The cheese should be melted and bubbly when you pull it out.
- Let rest for 15 minutes before serving. You can add some slices scallions when you serve if you like.