Beef Tri-Tip is one of our favorite cuts to roast or smoke. The recipe for roasting is the same as smoking and you can even to it on indirect heat on the grill, but it make take a bit more attention.Print Pin
- 1 Tri-Tip Roast
- Steak Pepper Rub
- Kosher Salt
- 8 tbsp (1 stick) Unsalted butter
- 3 tsp Bacon Fat
- Make sure your Trip-Tip is cleaned. Most of the time it will still have some "silver skin" on the surface that really needs to be removed. This stuff is tough, gristly, and almost impossible to chew.
- Score the fat cap to the meat in 1 to 1 1/2 inch squares to let the rub get in.
- Rub every surface with the Kosher salt and pepper steak rub. Really get it in there.
- And don't forget the crevices you made while scoring the fat cap.
- Wrap the roast up in plastic wrap and place in the fridge for at least 4 hours.
- Get your smoker set up for indirect cooking at 225F. We add a bit of Cherry wood to give it a nice smoky flavor, but any fruit wood will probably work fine.
- Place the roast in a disposable pan and distribute the butter evenly around the pan. We like to put some bacon fat on top of meat just to add a little more depth to the flavor. Then cook it.
- Smoke the Tri-Tip until the internal temp is where you want it. Generally, for Tri-Tip, we cook them until they're about 135F. That's medium rare and where the meat is juiciest, Save that juice in the bottom of the pan for serving.
- We like to slice the meat for serving, but you could just cut it into chunks, if you like. Make sure you pour a little of the juice on it when you serve it up. We even add a bit of it to the backed potato. Enjoy!