Every single person on the planet has their own concept of what makes the perfect pizza. This pizza is pan style. It’s a thick crust pizza. The toppings mentioned here are the toppings we like. You can add whatever the heck you want to your own pizza. This one is ours.Print Pin
- 1 package pizza dough (I know… that’s cheating. Normally we make our own, but hey, it was late, we were hungry)
- New York Style pizza sauce
Optional Stuff (Use what you want)
- 1/2 green pepper
- 1/2 red pepper
- sliced mushrooms
- 1 package shredded Mozzarella cheese
- Preheat your heat source to 550F. You can use the oven, or, if possible, set your grill up for 550F indirect heat.
- We wanted sausage on the pizza, because that’s obviously awesome, so we cooked the sausage in the same 12 inch cast iron skillet we were going to use for the whole pizza. If you’re doing sausage, you want to cook it through, but not really finish it. It’s going to cook more when it’s on the pizza.
- After the sausage has cooked we had to let the skillet cool, then we spread the dough out in the skillet.
- Spread some sauce over the pizza dough. You don’t want to drown the dough, you just want to cover it. The next time you go to your favorite pizza shop, watch the professional spread the sauce. That’s how you want to do it.
- Here’s where it gets personal. I can only tell you how we did it, because your toppings may be entirely different.First we spread the mozzarella cheese on top of the sauce, then we added the chopped peppers, followed by the mushrooms, the cooked sausage and some pepperoni.
- Finally, because we like extra cheese, we spread some more mozzarella on top of the whole mess.
- Stick the skillet in the heat source and let it cook until it’s done. Vague, I know, but everyone has a different idea on how their pizza should be cooked. The above photo was taken after 15 minutes in 550F heat. It’s pizza, not Rocket Surgery.
- Remove the pizza from the pan with a thin spatula (it should slide right out) and slice it how you want it. Right there we have 2 perfect slices.