Red Beans and Rice (with Smoked Sausage)
Here’s a great single skillet recipe. Easy, quick, and tasty. Lots of flavors in this one, and fairly spicy, although you can control that with the amount of Creole Seasoning you add.Print Pin
- 1 lb smoked sausage or kielbasa (turkey, beef, or pork)
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tsp creole seasoning
- 32 oz kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice (we use wild rice)
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Garnish (optional, but tasty)
- hot sauce to taste
- sliced green onions
- finely chopped red onion
- fresh celery leaves
- Throw the sausage, celery, green peppers, and red peppers into a non-stick skillet on medium heat. I think the next time we make this we’ll put the sausage in first to get just a little brown, because all those veggies add a lot of liquid to the pan when they sweat, and that makes it difficult for the sausage to brown.
- Add some kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste.
- Cook until the sausage is browned and the veggies are nice and tender.
- Add the garlic and saute for 1 – 2 minutes.
- Add the creole seasoning and stir it in well.
- Add the beans.
- Stir in the Chicken Broth and deglaze to get all the brown bits from the bottom and sides of your skillet mixed in. That’s where tons of flavor lives.
- Bring the mix up to a boil on medium high, then reduce heat to medium low and let simmer until the liquid reduces to a nice thick tasty sauce.