Prosciutto-Stuffed Chicken with Mushroom Sauce
What can I say? Chicken stuffed with Prosciutto, Provolone, and Basil, then covered with an amazing mushroom sauce. Amazing.Print Pin Rate
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts (about 2 pounds)
- Kosher Salt
- Fresh Ground Black Pepper
- 8 thin slices prosciutto
- 8 thin slices provolone cheese
- 32 fresh basil leaves
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter divided
- 4 cups mixed mushrooms (such as crimini, chanterelle, and maitake), torn or chopped into small pieces
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tsp red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp mixed chopped fresh herbs (such as basil, parsley, and chives)
- Butterfly the breasts by slicing vertically keeping one of the long sides intact. Open the halves like a book (that's one of those things you used to carry around from class to class in high school).
- Using the smooth side of a tenderizer, frying pan, small sledge hammer, food slammer, or something else, pound the breasts until they're about ¼" thick. Do this carefully so as not to tear the breasts.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper (to taste) over the outside (smooth side) of the breasts.
- Place 1 chicken breast on a work surface, non-seasoned side up. Overlap 2 slices prosciutto on top of chicken.
- Top prosciutto with 2 overlapped slices provolone.
- Layer 8 basil leaves over cheese.
- Roll up chicken lengthwise and tie with kitchen twine. Repeat with remaining chicken breasts.
- Set a large oven proof skillet over medium-high heat and melt 1 tablespoon butter. Add mushrooms. Cook until all the liquid has been removed and the mushrooms are nicely browned.
- Add 1 tbsp butter and 1 tbsp olive oil to the skillet. Add the chicken roulades (fancy, eh?) and cook until browned on all sides, 8-10 minutes.Transfer the chicken to a sheet pan, place in the oven and bake until an instant-read thermometer inserted into center of roulades registers 165°, 7-8 minutes. (The chicken will be cooked through but still juicy.)
- While the chicken is cooking, set skillet over medium-high heat and melt 1 tablespoon butter. Return the mushrooms to the skillet Season with salt and pepper; add broth and vinegar.
- Simmer until liquid is thickened and reduced, 10-12 minutes. Stir in remaining 1 tablespoon butter and herbs; season with salt and pepper.
- Remove the roulades from the oven to rest.
- Stir into the mushrooms the remaining 1 tablespoon butter and herbs; season with salt and pepper.
- Cut off and discard twine. Cut chicken into 1/2-inch slices. Drizzle mushroom sauce over the chicken and serve up the deliciousness!