Old Fashioned Pancakes
Delicious recipe for fluffy pancakes just like grandma used to make.Print Pin Rate
- 1½ cups all purpose flour
- 3½ tbsp baking powder
- ¼-½ tbsp salt
- 1 tbsp white sugar
- 1¼ cups whole milk may require an additional 2 tbsp depending on thickness of batter
- 1 large egg
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter melted
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter for cooking
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar.
- In another bowl (I use a 4 cup measuring cup) beat the egg, then add the milk, melted butter, and vanilla extract
- Make a well in the middle of the dry ingredients and slowly mix in the wet ingredients. Mix gently until not quite smooth, with just a few lumps.
- Heat a skillet or griddle to 375°F then melt 1 Tbsp butter in it.
- Add the batter, about a quarter cup at a time, to the skillet or griddle and cook until the bubbles have burst, checking the bottom side of the pancake to ensure it's not getting too dark, then flip and cook for a minute or so more until the bottom is golden brown.
- Remove from heat and keep warm until ready to eat.
- We like to serve with a nicely fried egg on top, but that's entirely up to you.