Marilyn’s French Toast
This is the make ahead breakfast that Lisa's mom, Marilyn, used to make for the family when there were a bunch of us together. Since you make it ahead the previous night, it's really easy on the morning of, just throw it in the oven. And… It's delicious!Print Pin Rate
- 1 loaf French bread sliced into 1 inch slices
- ¼ cup melted butter
- ½ cup sugar divided
- 2 tsp cinnamon divided
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup milk
- ½ cup orange juice
- ½ tsp vanilla
- Slice the french bread into 1 to 1½ inch slices.
- Line a baking sheet (with sides) with parchment paper.
- Combine butter with ¼ cup sugar and 1 tsp cinnamon, then pour into the lined baking sheet making sure to cover the entire bottom of the sheet.
- Mix eggs, orange juice, milk, vanilla, ¼ cup sugar, vanilla, ¼ cup sugar, and ½ tsp cinnamon in a medium mixing bowl.
- Dip bread slices in the egg mixture and place in a single layer in a baking dish.
- Pour the remaining egg mixture over the top of the bread, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 400F and bake the bread on the center shelf for 10 – 15 minutes, then Flip the bread over and cook an additional 10 – 15 minutes minutes.
- Turn the oven off and turn your broiler on low and move the bread to the top shelf. Broil for a couple minutes, then turn the sheet and broil for a couple more minutes making sure you keep an eye on it and don't let it burn.,
- Voila! Prêt à manger!