Malibu Chicken (copied from Sizzler Steakhouse)
Joe once worked at a Sizzler many years ago, and used to enjoy their Malibu Chicken for lunch. This recipe was recently found while cruising the inter-tubes and we decided to give it a shot. Needless to say, it worked perfectly.Print Pin Rate
Creole Mustard Sauce
- 2 tbsp dijon mustard
- 3 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 tsp yellow mustard
- 1 tsp honey
- 3 egg yolks
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- ½ cup panko bread crumbs
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
- ½ tbsp dried parsley
- ½ tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tbsp fresh ground black pepper
- 2 boneless chicken berasts cut in half
- 4 slices black forest ham
- 6 to 8 slices swiss cheese
- 6 tbsp butter only if cooking in a baking dish in the oven
- canola oil spray only if cooking in the air fryer
- 2 tbsp butter only if frying
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil only if frying
- Mix together the creole mustard sauce ingredients and refrigerate.
- In a Ziploc bag, mix egg yolks with garlic.
- Place chicken in the bag with the egg mixture, squeeze out all the air and seal tightly. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours, or overnight if possible.
- When ready to actually cook the chicken, make the breading by mixing together the bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese, parsley, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Pull the chicken breast halves out of the bag and dreg in the breading. Make sure you get them well coated, then let them rest on a bakers rack for 15 minutes.
- There are actually 3 different ways to cook the Malibu Chicken::: In the oven:: Fried then finished in the oven:: Air Fried then finished under the broiler
Cook In The Oven
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Melt 6 tbsp butter and pour into bottom of a 9×13 baking dish. Place coated chicken in baking dish, and pour remaining egg mixture over the top.
- Bake for 15 min on each side or until chicken is no longer pink and juices run clear. Top with Ham and cheese (you can see here that we only used 1 slice on each piece. Big mistake. You should use 1⅓ or 2 slices on each piece).
- Place back in the oven for about 5 min or until cheese is melted.
Cook in the Air Fryer
- Preheat air fryer to 390 degrees. Spray the fryer basket of tray and both sides of each piece of breaded chicken with the canola oil and set the chicken in the basket (make sure there's plenty of room for air flow around the chicken, we had to do 2 at a time) and cook for 15 minutes on both sides. Internal temp should be around 160. Top with Ham and cheese (you can see here that we only used 1 slice on each piece. Big mistake. You should use 1⅓ or 2 slices on each piece).
- Place the chicken pieces on a parchment lined baking tray and into the oven on low broil for a couple minutes or until the cheese is nicely melted.
Fry It Up
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Heat 2 tbsp vegetable oil and 2 tbsp butter in large skillet over medium heat to about 360 degrees.Place browned chicken on parchment lined baking sheet or oven proof platter, top each piece with a slice of ham and slice of cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees, until cheese melts.
Serve it up
- You can either serve with Creole Mustard Sauce. These also make GREAT sandwiches, just throw it on a toasted bun that's slathered in the mustard sauce.YUM