Ground Beef Stroganoff
This simple bust tasty dish is a staple in our house. We make it often, and enjoy it always.Print Pin Rate
- 1⅓ tbsp unsalted butter divided
- 1 tbsp olive oil divided
- 16 oz sliced mushrooms
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 large yellow onion finely chopped
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 2 10½ oz can Cream of Mushroom soup
- 8 oz plain greek yogurt
- 12 oz egg noodles
- Kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- ground cayenne pepper optional
- Add 1 tbsp butter and ½ tbsp olive oil to a skillet on medium high heat. Add the sliced mushrooms to the skillet when hot and cook until all the liquid has evaporated and the mushrooms are well seared, then set the mushrooms aside.
- Form the ground beef into 3 ½ inch thick patties, then add ½ tbsp olive oil to the skillet and place the patties inside. Cook both sides until well seared.
- Break the patties up into bite size chunks, add salt and pepper to taste, and cook until done, then use a slotted spoon to set the beef aside.
- Reduce heat to medium and add the onions to the hot skillet and cook until translucent, then add in the garlic and cook another 2 minutes.
- Add the beef and mushrooms to the skillet.
- Reduce the temperature to low and stir in the soup making sure it is well incorporated. Cover and cook for 30 minutes. Now is a good time to check for flavor and add salt and pepper to taste
- Bring a stock pot of water to a boil, drop in the egg noodles and cook until al dente.
- While the egg noodles are cooking stir the yogurt into the skillet and optionally, a couple pinches of the cayenne pepper. Again, make sure it is well incorporated. Cover and cook until hot.
- Serve the stroganoff over the egg noodles.