- Spice Grinder
- 2 tbsp coriander seeds
- 1 tbsp black peppercorns
- 1 tbsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp anise seeds or fennel seeds
- 8 whole cloves
- 1 tbsp allspice berries
- 4 large bay leaves
- 1 tbsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- Toast coriander, peppercorns, mustard seeds, anise or fennel seeds, allspice, and cloves in a cast iron skillet for two to three minutes, or until fragrant.
- Add crushed bay leaves and red pepper flakes in the last 30 seconds. You are basically just trying to awaken their flavors. But be careful so that you don't burn them.
- Pour contents of the pan into a spice mill and pulse a few times to release the flavor of the spices.
- Store in an air-tight container.