Air Fried Southen Style Chicken
At this point, this is it. The holy grail of Air Fried Chicken. Why? No bread crumbs. This makes an actual crispy fried chicken. Really. I mean it.Print Pin Rate
- Air Fryer
- 1 or 2 lbs chicken If you're doing chicken on the bone, it's 2 lbs, boneless would be 1 lb.
- 2 tsp sea or kosher salt
- 1½ tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 1½ tsp garlic powder
- 1½ tsp paprika
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp italian seasoning
- 1 cup self rising flour
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp hot sauce
- 2 tbsp milk or buttermilk
- ¼ cup water
- olive oil
- In a large dish, mix together eggs, hot sauce, milk, and water.
- Combine the Spice mix ingredients in a small bowl.
- Dry the chicken off using paper towels, then coat lightly with oilve oil and rub with about 1 tbsp of the spice mix.
- In a pie dish or large bowl, mix together the remaining spice mix, flour, and corn starch
- Coat chicken lightly in the flour mixture, shaking off the excess and set on a rack for 15 minutes to ensure the flour mix soaks in to the chicken.The waiting is the hardest part, but REALLY important to making this whole thing work.
- Dredge the chicken in the egg mixture (shaking off excess).
- Immediately, coat the chicken lightly in the flour mixture again, shaking off excess and set on a rack, again, for 15 minutes to ensure the flour mix soaks in to the chicken.I can't stress enough how even if the waiting is the hardest part, it is REALLY important to making this whole thing work.
- Use spray oil, an oil mister,f or brush, to coat the chicken very lightly (all over) with olive oil.
- The actual cooking depends on your fryer. We preheated ours to 350F and it worked really well.Place chicken in the preheated Air Fryer basket, allowing room for the air to flow all around the chicken. (do not crowd)..In our fryer we cooked for a total of 15 minutes, flipping the chicken half way through. Since we did in in batches, be placed the cooked chicken in the oven on "Keep Warm" between our 2 batches
- Remove and let chicken rest for about 5 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!